Monday, 6 February, 2023

|

Three men charged with murder of German tourist remain in custody

Three men charged with the murder of a German tourist on the Numbi Gate road in October last year appeared briefly before the Kabokweni magistrate’s court today to apply for bail.

However, the application by Napoleon Joseph Nyalunga (35), Marshall Cebo Mamba (38), and Bongumusa Fortune Matsane (25) did not proceed as their legal representative was not present in court. They will remain in custody until their next court appearance on 16 February.

ALSO READ: German tourist killed by armed gunmen on Numbi Road

The three appeared in connection with the murder of the 67-year-old Joerg Schnarr, a German tourist, who was shot and killed when he and three passengers were driving in a Hyundai minibus towards the Kruger National Park. The shooters were reportedly driving a VW Caddy.

ALSO READ: Three people taken in for questioning over killing of German tourist

“The suspects are said to have instructed the tourists to open the doors of their vehicle, but the driver reportedly locked all the doors, and one of the suspects shot at him through the window, hitting him in the upper body. The victims’ vehicle drove in reverse for about 100 meters before crashing into the wall of Heroes Academy,” Mpumalanga police spokesperson Brigadier Selvy Mohlala said at the time.

Schnarr died on the scene. The suspects reportedly sped off in their vehicle without taking anything from the tourists.

Leave a Reply